.

Given a company situation be able to determine whether and how to protect its technological innovations.

I think that in different industries these differences have been reflected in variuos variants; in one case it could have been strictly complimentary in the other case diametrically opposed and finally there could be mixes as well. It is hard to say that companies adopting and implementing and producing has led the company to success. Sometimes A Dominant Design

I have an example of Dominant Design that is diametrically opposed: QWERTY keyboard , there has been so many suggestions to change it but it is still in the use and in my opinion it will be always used. A Complimentary one I would bring the example of DVD which I think can be considered as Dominant design after years of fight for the Betamax and VHS. VHS become the tape standard but nowadays I think DVD CDs is the Standard.